Hello fabulous Not Entirely Perfect readers! Thanks to Steph for lending me her space. The last time I posted for Steph, I did a basic About Me. This is similar, but it's a re-post from December 2012 about my crappy qualities because you can't shine up a turd, can you? What can I say, I'm a realist.
I am fierce with myself. Like everyone, I show my strengths more than my weaknesses, but that doesn't mean I'm unaware of the places where I fall short or the character flaws that I have.
My blog naturally gravitates to a lot of things that are my strengths: productivity, organization, cooking, saying no, dissing Justin Bieber. A lot of people have said to me, "How do you do all the stuff you do on a weekend?" To them I say, "How do you take a spin class at 5 am or run a 5k or divide a check by seven without using a calculator?" Your triumphs could very well be one of my hot mess disasters. We can't all be good at everything, and if we were all good at the same things, that would suck. Because who would assemble furniture for me? I actually hate when people say, "Stop! You CAN do it!" One, let's be honest: I don't really want to. Two, no, I can't. Just like I can't hop on my purple Unicorn Wanda and take a quick ride to the moon.
If I try something a few times and don't get better at it, I say good day to it. Some things you just know in your gut you're not ever going to get the hang of, and when that happens to me, I'm okay with it. I don't beat my head against the wall or try it 59 more times. I'm not going to be good at everything I do. Part of life is playing to your strengths and knowing your weaknesses so you can avoid them. These are some of mine.
1. I am not arty or crafty. I am afraid of hot glue guns. I spaz when creation is in the air. I like to pin things on pinterest and imagine myself standing calmly before my assembled materials, wearing crisp white pants and a slim finely striped button down accessorized by a complementary chunky necklace, with my hair in a topknot I effortlessly fashioned myself. I gaze around serenely and pick up a tool to begin. Then I wake the F up and go look at something someone else has made. Because it isn't happening. And I'll never wear white pants.
2. Blow drying my hair. My arms get tired, I always have resulting Uncle Larrys, and I'd rather just skip it. So I skip it. Every day.
3. I am very very bad at dealing with weak people and attention whores. I feel like punching them in the face. Sweet Brown ain't got no time for that.
4. Getting up at the crack of dawn to exercise. I lack the willpower and desire, and I am not going to be acquiring either of them. I can't even walk a straight line that early. Once I busted out some Billy Blanks at 6 a.m. and nearly broke my face and some glassware in my living room. I'd rather stay in bed for my own safety and to preserve my belongings.
|So would Geege. Obviously.|
5. My self pedis leave a lot to be desired.
6. I am unable and unwilling to keep my dogs off of furniture and beds. I'll deal with the hair, and so will you if you come over.
7. I can't hang anything worth a damn. Michelle has hung pretty much every picture and curtain rod in my house. The ones that are crooked are my masterpieces.
8. Using power tools. I'm like a baby trying to pilot a rocket ship.
9. I know every word to a lot of songs, but you don't want to hear me sing them. It's not a pretty sound.
10. My gift wrapping is an atrocity. Bags are my friend.
11. 5 + 3 x 12 = hand me the calculator. Math is a foreign language to me.
12. I'm impatient to the max and will lose my shit over it.
So there you have it. Some of my shatshiney qualities. And I'm okay with being bad at stuff. I like to know and acknowledge my blind spots so they don't bite me in the butt. Then I spend 98% of my time accentuating the positive: the things I'm good at doing, my natural proclivity for certain tasks and ways of thinking. I hope you do too.
It's sunny here today in Philadelphia, I hope it's sunny where you are too.
Come visit me at Life According to Steph.