are you familiar with the term 'life hack'? a life hack is any little tip or trick that you use each day to make your life more efficient. it saves time and sanity and helps you check everything off your to do list quicker and cheaper. so today i partnered with one of my sponsors this month, quinn, who blogs at desgettier, to bring you our top 10 life hacks.
fist up, here's quinn's 5 awesome tips (i didn't actually know any of these before, i'm excited to protect my flowers!)
1. Line the edge of your lips with a clear wax crayon to prevent red lipstick from bleeding. Mine is a Dior pencil just because it was a Dior sales assistant who gave me the tip, but I saw a NYX clear crayon at Target for a much cheaper price & I’m sure it’d work the same.
2. Use a cup-sized thermos to upgrade your eating and drinking. I found this cute 8-oz thermos at Starbucks on sale for $10… and then my life changed. I use this every day, almost exclusively compared to all the other mugs/bowls in the house. Why use a cup when this thermos will keep my iced tea cold? Why use a mug when this thermos will keep my coffee hot? Why eat ice cream in a bowl when this thermos will keep it from melting? True story, once I even drank white wine out of this thermos to keep it chilled. Lol okay fine I do that a lot.
3. Invest in a breathalyzer to keep in each car. These can be found on Amazon for $80-120ish. My boyfriend and I bought these in January and can’t believe we ever drank at any restaurant/friend’s house/any location outside of our house without them. We use them every time we’ve had even one drink — and have been surprised to see the BAC % after even one glass of wine. If you’ve ever said “I only had one drink, obviously I’m fine to drive” you should blow into a breathalyzer just once to see the numbers. You can’t accurately gauge your level of “buzz” unless you have numbers to reference it with, right?
4. Mix one drop of bleach in with water to prolong the life of flower arrangements. When the florist told me this, I was a little surprised — bleach seems like such a harsh agent to be putting near delicate flowers! But since bacteria is the real culprit of wilting flowers, just a drop — barely even that — is enough to combat the bacteria without hurting the blooms.
5. If you use 2GB+ data every month on your cellphone plan, consider buying a grandfathered unlimited data line. Jon and I used to pay $30/month each for a measly 2GB of data from Verizon, but we typically actually use 3GB+... costing us another $10 — not anymore! Some people still have the now-discontinued “$30/month Unlimited Data Plan” and they can transfer them to you on eBay for about $250. So you’ll break even after just two years but now you’ll have access to unlimited data! Oh, and don’t worry about being scammed — when you call into Verizon to take over the lines, you confirm everything with Verizon before finalizing :)
leave it to quinn to take a great photo with all the items she mentioned. i'm not that together. ah well. here's my top 5 life hacks:
1. freaked out by opening a bottle of champagne? hold the cork in place with one hand and twist the bottle with the other. the cork won't go flying, the champagne won't overflow. the secret is twisting the bottle, not the cork. if you didn't just shake the bottle, there's no excuse for spilled champagne - that's a waste of perfectly good alcohol.
2. the fastest way to chill said champagne (or beer, wine or other beverages) is to wrap the bottle in a wet paper towel and put it in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes. it'll be cold as ice.
3. technology is your friend. use sidereel.com to track your favorite shows. dvr is great but sidereel alerts you when a new season is starting or when your show changes days. even better? they let you know when the episodes are available online and where.
4. rubbing alcohol cleans a microfiber couch. water leaves water marks and takes forever to dry. rubbing alcohol cleans, doesn't leave an odor, and evaporates faster than water. a little rubbing alcohol and a sponge are all you need to get stains out. even grease stains from where hawkeye decided to eat her fried chicken.
5. and i think my biggest life hack is laundry. here's my secret - i don't separate colors and i wash everything in cold. 'eek!' i'm sure you're thinking. but honestly it's a huge time and sanity saver. i tend not to buy a lot of white clothes because i'm not tan enough for them, ever, and it's not a good shade with my cool undertones. but even white clothes, i've thrown in the wash with orange, with green, with grey. whatever! i'm lucky enough to have an in-unit washer dryer, and when something is dirty, i throw it in. when the wash is full, i start it! washing my white towels and sheets each week are the only exception, they get washed on hot because they are a big enough load. i also wash new reds or dark wash denim solo or with like colors for the first wash or two, since those are big color bleeders. but most items are just fine being washed in cold and get just as clean.
what are your favorite little life hacks? don't forget to head over to desgettier to see more beautiful photos from quinn as well as fun notes on brands and, especially helpful this time of year, how they keep you shopping!