1. first, let's start with the best parents in the world. mine. got me a new phone! the silver iphone 6 and yes, i got a ridiculous sparkly cover for it. i love it. it's been a very long time since i've upgraded (years) so everything is new to me. check 'upgrade my phone' off the 101 list.
2. one of my best friends from grade school/high school came into town to celebrate with me, love that girl. we haven't lived in the same state since high school, so it's always nice when she gets to come back, even though she hates the cold weather. check 'visit with sarah' off the 101 list.
3. it was also great that my friends made it out to celebrate with me. i set up an open bar thing, so i assumed they would, but then it started snowing. the first snow we got and it was really coming down. but they made it out anyway.
4. on my actual birthday, the 20th, i couldn't do much; i had work that day, the next day, and i was in the suburbs watching my parents' dogs while they were out of town. watching 3 dogs is like orchestrating a circus. and john got sick with strep throat! gross. so it was a quiet night with pizza and presents. no complaints, it was nice to relax.
5. but he spoiled me while i was at work that day, sending chocolate covered strawberries in the morning and flowers in the afternoon.
6. my best friend meredith sent me a fluffy pink birthday princess crown, god love her. thank goodness she's having a girl, she'd be lost on a boy. she also sent me a gift certificate to get an 11 by 14 portrait of hawkeye. does she know me or what?!
7. john took me to see the hunger games! mockingjay part 1, technically. i really liked it. i know a lot of people complained that it's slow, but it's still a very good movie.
8. we got dinner that night at the new restaurant nikki works at - the newly opened sugar factory in rosemont. perfect place to go on a birthday if you ask me. and their martinis are insane. they taste exactly like whatever candy they claim to, with zero taste/after taste of liquor at all. i don't know how they do it, but i'm very impressed. i got the watermelon jolly rancher and the sour apple blow pop, but i have plans to try them all. they had 5 on their starter menu since they just opened, but nikki says they have 75. seventy five. oh, and we had to stop for huge beer steins at hofbrauhaus.
9. i also spent some time with my parents - my dad taught me how to make his famous spaghetti sauce. it's a fairly intense process, one that will take me years to perfect, but i'm glad i know the secrets! it was also on my 101 list to learn it, so it's been a bang up month for getting that almost done.
10. so i'd say it was a really successful birthday month. check 'celebrate my 30th birthday' off the 101 list! which brings my total completed to 79/101, with a little over 1 year to go. see? bang up month.