1. happy new year! john and i went to the bar around the corner from my apartment (aptly named, corner bar. they're so creative.) to celebrate. no cover, $7 pitchers, $4.50 top shelf drinks, free party favors and snack bar. my kind of place! we probably drank too much, but it was such a fun (and cheap!) night. we might host a nye party next year at our new house, but whatever we do, i'm always happy to spend the night watching news anchor mark giangreco getting shit faced on tv while drinking cheap champagne with this handsome man. it tastes like peaches, ok? the champagne, not the man.
2. i bought something not spending freeze approved pretty much the first day of january, but it was only $9 and worth every penny - an apartment cleaning. handy had an awesome new year's deal, $19 for 2 hours of cleaning, tax and tip included. so my roommate and i split it. worth every penny, particularly after we had people over during both christmas and new years. you can use this referral link for $25 off your first handy cleaning. it's available in most major cities and i highly recommend it. who knew a $9 purchase and a clean floor could make me so pleased?
3. other than that, january has been going exceedingly well on the spending freeze front. you'll see in the post at the end of the month, but spending has been non-existent. i think i currently have 2 other things on there besides the cleaning, and one is groceries.
4. had a lovely post-christmas get together with my 3 best friends from law school, since one of them was in town from canada. eleni hosted and this was her spread for only 7 people. i think it's because she's greek. but really, it was a fantastic party, she's such a good hostess!
5. the little gifts i made for my friends for christmas. i used swagbucks money of course, but the bath and body works mini candles were on sale for $2 from $4.50 and i got the mini body butters for $3 from $6 using groupon. the nail polishes i got for free (otherwise $8.50) by using my cvs extra bucks throughout the past few months. cute little gifts for $5 instead of $19. win.
6. this one is best and worst - remember john's job moved him two hours away? it still sucks, but now they put him on 7-12s. 7 days a week, 12 hour days. (they only have to give him a day off every 21 days or something ridiculous like that.) which means no more coming home on saturday nights. it's horrible. but, it makes the list because (a) they'll be done with the job faster this way and he can permanently come home sooner and (b) it's a lot of money, because it's time and a half and double time over time pay. which means bigger house down payment come august! hawkeye is mad though, she does not understand facetime at all. she's all 'get john out of the box! you're ruining my life!'
8. speaking of steph, we picked out some topics to continue the choose your own adventure challenge. we decided to keep the link-up going through may, and then break for summer. please join us! this month is 'complete', and you still have plenty of time to join in. february is 'create,' march is 'relationships,' (any, so don't fret if you aren't married - i plan on working on my relationship with my dog!), april is 'finances' in time for tax season, and may is 'read' which steph will dominate in and i will fail. hopefully not. we hope you join us for any or all of them.
9. john got his lasik done last weekend, which went very successfully. we were in and out of the hospital in 45 minutes! he loves it, although he still has to put drops in hourly, for like 2 months. i wanted lasik, and the surgery didn't seem bad at all, but the aftercare... i'm not sure i can handle that. it's a lot of steps and i'm not responsible enough for all that.
10. hawkeye. i've been trying to get more pictures of her on instagram, after finding out that last year there were only 42. but she just sleeps all day! little lazy bum. she's still cute though.