well look at that. i decide i don't feel like writing a blog post and suddenly it's been 2 weeks. time flies. not really; time has been taken up by working on the most awful work project (an appellate brief and corresponding indexes for my lawyer readers) and if i never have to look at it again it'll be too soon. but no, i don't have separation anxiety about leaving the blog on it's own for 2 weeks. this post is about this munchkin:
hrh princess hawkeye has been having major separation anxiety issues. she's not the worst case in the world, but she has all the signs - pouts when i leave, goes bonkers when i get home, doesn't eat her treats or food until i return, paces like crazy, barks like mad when someone else leaves. so not all the signs (she doesn't escape or hurt herself) but a lot of them.
have you ever had a dog with separation anxiety? how did you help them?
i've tried a lot of the things i found online (and i talked to my vet. meds are an option but i don't want to go there yet.) like:
- we go on at least 2 walks a day, sometimes 3 or a really long one at night. she's ready to pass out when we get home, so i don't think it's lack of exercise or boredom. we also learn tricks and play games.
- i give her things during the day, like kongs stuffed with treats or peanut butter, and other kinds of treats/food/toys, but she doesn't touch anything until i get home.
- i keep her in a smaller area (i know she does worse if she has the full apartment to wander around in.)
- i don't make a big deal out of leaving. i also don't greet her when i get home until she calms down.
- i don't think a friend will help. my roommate's cat is there, and she doesn't care. she's also been left with my parents' dogs and with john's dog and she still has the same issues.
- i have not tried leaving the tv on (i only have netflix and we all know that auto shuts off) or a radio. i could try that next.
i know you have to work on it constantly, which i can do on the weekends. like leave for short periods of time, work our way up. but during the week, i do actually have to go to my job. ya know, to pay her rent and keep her in tacos, so it's like we lose all the training we do over the weekends. does she need to go to day care?