Monday, July 3, 2017

Keeping Up With Life Again

Is everyone out there on holiday today?  At least in the states.  I hope you are!  I am, but I've also heard a lot of my friends say that they don't have today off, only tomorrow.  Luckily my office is closed, because my boss wants to golf. 

I have another keeping up with life post for you today, just like the two last week except this one is much shorter.

Monday, June 26
I got up around 6 today and started the process of making ribs for John, which I had seasoned and put in the fridge the night before.  So I pulled them out and started them in the oven for 30 minutes while I went about my usual morning routine: skincare, teeth brushing, getting dressed, makeup, all that.  Since he had the day off from his other job, John got home from the firehouse around 7 and played with Hawkeye while I got the ribs started in the crock pot.  Then I grabbed my lunches for the week and he drove me to the train station and I got to work at 8.

John did most of the house things today, including walking Hawkeye, so I got to come home and just relax.  He had the ribs for dinner, and I made myself some quinoa to have with the homemade pesto sauce my dad dropped off the day before.  We ended up walking over after dinner to get ice cream, which Hawkeye appreciated more than anyone.  After a quick shower and cleaning the dishes, we were in bed by 10.

Tuesday, June 27
I had a doctor's appointment this morning at 9, so I got to sleep in a little bit.  Normally I have to leave by 7:15 to get to work, but I had a whole extra hour before I would have to leave for the doctor's appointment.  I left my house and took an Uber there, arrived about 8:45.  Thankfully they were super quick and I was at work before 10.  So I spent money on two Ubers this morning, I think it ended up being about $27 total.

For dinner we decided to use the spaghetti sauce my dad made and dropped off on Sunday, so before I got home John went to the grocery store (he had today off too) and picked up pasta and garlic bread.  After a cocktail on the patio, we started dinner and ate while watching Forged in Fire, we love that show.  I cleaned up all the dishes and packed the leftovers, and after a quick shower and skin care routine, was in bed by 9:30.

Wednesday, June 28
John left for the firehouse about 5:30, so I woke up then and took Hawkeye on a long walk (45 minutes about) and then finished up my morning routine and got to work by 8.  It was a typical quiet day, but I did have to stop at Target on my lunch break to pick up the supplies for 4th of July shots I posted about.  I had a gift card though, so no money spent!  Always a win.  Oh also worth mention, Netflix gets auto drafted out of my account on the 28th of each month, so that's an expense today.  What are we at with that now, like $10?

I got home at 5:25 and took Hawkeye for a long walk since we have the evening to ourselves.  Once we got back I: had dinner, cleaned up the kitchen, showered and washed my hair, did two loads of laundry (but didn't manage to get them folded and put away), made and photographed the shots for last Friday's post and also created the similar post for the Steph and Tara Show website, and took the trash and recycling out.  Watched Jurassic World and were in bed by 10.

Thursday, June 29
John went straight to his other job so Hawkeye and I rolled out of bed around 6:15.  It was rainy, which is a no go in Hawkeye land as far as walking goes, so I just fast walked on the treadmill for 20 minutes and called it good enough.  Got to work around 8 and ran back and forth between the office and the court house 17 times throughout the day to help my boss with a trial, so that counted as exercise too if you ask me.

I got home about 5:30 and walked Hawkeye for 10 minutes.  John decided he wanted to grill today so he started getting that ready while her and I walked and while I took a quick shower and changed into comfy clothes.  We had a few cocktails on the patio while he grilled, and he made me veggie burger - Beyond Meat 'The Beyond Burgers' from Whole Foods, try them!  So good.  While we ate, we watched a bunch of our typical go tos - Tiny House Hunters, Monk, Little Women LA (I got him addicted to the drama.)  I cleaned up the kitchen and loaded the dishwasher, but that was about all I did cleaning wise around the house.  I plan on doing a lot on Saturday so I didn't feel like bothering with it much this week.  We went to bed around 9:30.

Friday, June 30
John got to leave a little later today since the job was closer to home, so we both got up around 6 and he left at 6:30.  I went through my typical morning routine, trying to walk Hawkeye a little longer since I knew I'd be out late tonight, and got to work about 8:30 for a very slow and quiet day.  My office closed at 3 today, so I took the train home and met John, who then drove us out to a concert.  I did stop on the way and get myself some girly drinks with minimal liquor (they were mango flavored and delicious) so that cost me $8.  We went with John's parents and his brother Eric, plus a couple of family friends, to the Moody Blues concert at Ravinia.  It was a lot of fun, they let you bring coolers and everything so we hung out on the lawn, drinking and eating all the food John's mom brought with.  We left a little early because it started raining, dropped off Eric, and were home about 10:30.  I was exhausted and out by 11.

Saturday, July 1
John's at the firehouse today, even though it's technically his 'Daley Day,' which I'll explain all about in an upcoming post (probably Friday.)  He was up and out the door by 5:30 but Hawkeye and I were up equally early.  Knowing that tomorrow we have plans all day, I really wanted to get everything house and weekly prep related out of the way.  But also, Hawkeye had to go to grooming today, which meant she had to be there (it's downtown) by 8:00 a.m.  After a quick morning routine (no walking or exercise today), I loaded her up in an Uber by 7:15 and we got downtown by 7:30, no traffic.  We were able to spend the next 30 minutes walking in the park and playing in the dog park with the other early birds.  She went for grooming and I went home to get stuff done while I waited for her.  The expense of all the Ubers is a pain in the ass, and I usually schedule her for a work day when I'm already downtown.  But she needed to get cleaned up before the 4th of July festivities and John wasn't originally supposed to be working today, so I was planning on driving his truck.  My mom was way out in the north suburbs babysitting my cousin's toddler, so that wasn't an option either.  Ah well.  (All in all, it cost me $60 for the grooming and $48 in Ubers for the day.)

I was home by 8:30 and spent the next couple of hours getting all the house things done: running the robot vacuum both upstairs and downstairs, doing the laundry, including sheets and towels, running and unloading the dishwasher, cleaning the kitchen, cleaning up the basement, taking the trash and recycling out, watering the lawn and garden, mopping floors, and deep cleaning the bathrooms (toilets, sinks, mirrors, showers, floors, straightening up in the cabinets and drawers.  Check here if you want to see mine.  If a full cleaning routine interests you, like what products I use and the order and speed I clean things at, let me know in the comments.)

I also sorted through some things in the fridge, freezer and cabinets and made the bold decision not to grocery shop this weekend.  We have a party next Saturday for John's birthday, which means we need all the open fridge and freezer space we can get.  So this week, we're actively eating up everything we have stored instead of shopping.  John works the 4th and the 7th, which makes this plan easier, and Wednesday the 5th is his birthday so we'll probably do something more special for dinner anyway (eating out, or his dad mentioned coming by to grill steaks.)  I'm not worried for the other days because we still have the stuff to make tacos and some things to grill, plus John still has some leftover breakfast sandwiches in the freezer from last weekend and frozen chicken for lunch, like one of those versions with the sauce from Trader Joe's that his mom got him, he loves those.  As for myself, I plan on winging it.  I know I still have hummus in the fridge at the office, and baby carrots, and as for the rest, I'm just going to steadily work on whatever we have in the kitchen.  Like an adventure.

After all that I went back to pick up Hawkeye, about 4.  Once I got her back home, I finished up the tasks I mentioned, particularly folding and putting laundry away, plus wrote as many blog posts as I could concentrate on.  Which was only 4, but whatever.  The 1st of the month is also a good reminder day of getting monthly tasks done.  I gave Hawkeye her flea and heartworm prevention medications and did all the monthly things I mentioned that I liked taking care of in that post.  Except schedule downtime, I have something planned every weekend in July.  I hope August is quieter!  We went on a walk around dinner time, I showered and washed and dried my hair, painted my nails red for tomorrow, and we got in bed early and watched West Wing and were asleep by 10.

Sunday, July 2
Party Day!  Today is our officially celebration day for Independence Day.  John's parents always have a party at their house, just a casual barbecue and day drinking thing.  It always starts at 3 and there's lots of food and drinks and games and just generally hanging out.  So after John getting off shift and crawling into bed with us at 7, we slept in until 9.  John stayed in bed until 10:30.  I walked Hawkeye over to get coffee and a breakfast sandwich for John and after I quickly recorded and uploaded a podcast with Tara, we spent the next couple of house relaxing, getting a couple of last things done around the house (dishes, laundry) and then getting dressed for the party.  We live close to his parents so we walked over with Hawkeye right at 3.  We stayed late and drank way too much and let's be honest - I wrote that last sentence and scheduled this post to publish long before we started this party.  But we can just assume that's what happened.

And now that you're reading this Monday morning, we can assume I'm a tad hungover and probably still asleep.  But I do hope you're on holiday too, today and tomorrow.  Enjoy!

Thanks so much for stopping by.  You can also join me on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.  In addition to minimalism and organizing, I love all things 'real life' so use the hashtag #notentirelyperfect on social media so I can see your beautifully unstaged life.  On the top of the side bar to your right, you can follow me on Bloglovin or subscribe via e-mail to be alerted to each new post.

Copyright © 2012-2020 Not Entirely Perfect
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.